Questions About Applying

How can I study in the United States?

If your primary purpose of visit to the United States is to study, you must apply for an F1 classification student visa at your local U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. The visa is required to enter the United States.

How do I apply for a visa?

Before you schedule an appointment with the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate for your visa interview, you must first apply to AAE to receive an acceptance packet. An acceptance packet includes your acceptance letter and I-20 form. These are some of the required documents to get your visa. After receiving this packet, you can make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy/Consulate for an interview. When you are approved, you will receive a visa affixed to your passport for entry into the United States.

How do I apply to AAE?

Simply submit an application, online or paper, along with the necessary supporting documents: bank statement, passport copy and $100 application fee. It is recommended that you apply about 2 months in advance before your anticipated entry to the U.S. to allow time for the visa interview at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate and arrange travel plans.

After we receive and review your application and supporting documents, you will be notified of our decision. If you are accepted, your admission packet will be prepared within 2-5 business days. There is no charge for standard mail which takes up to 5 days for domestic and up to 14 days for international delivery, depending on the destination country. If you need to receive your documents earlier, USPS Express Mail (7-10 day international delivery time) and FedEx/DHL are available for faster delivery service, additional fees apply.

Return to top

Can I transfer from another U.S. institution to AAE? If so, what do I need to do?

Yes, as long as you have been maintaining your student status at your previous/current school, you are eligible to transfer.

In addition to submitting application documents as described above, you will need to complete a Transfer Form. After you have applied and been accepted to our school, this form, along with your acceptance letter will be sent to your previous/current school. Upon their consent, they will then release your SEVIS record to our school, at which time we will then be able to issue your new I-20 form.

Return to top

I am currently in the U.S. on another status (ie. B2, J2). Can I apply to change to F1 student status so that I may study full time? If so, how can AAE help?

Yes, you may apply to change your status by submitting an adjustment of status application to USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services). For more information, please contact us.

Return to top

What is SEVIS and the $200 SEVIS fee?

SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), a web-based database used by the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to collect, track and monitor information on international students, exchange visitors and scholars in the United States.

SEVIS enables schools to transmit electronic information and event notifications via the web to DHS’s U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the Department of State (DOS). The system will reflect all pertinent information relevant to international student status in the U.S.

The $200 SEVIS fee that is required for all visa and change of status applicants pays for the upkeep of the system. For more information or to make a fee payment, visit . You will need the I-20 form to make this payment.

Return to top

What is the SEVIS number?

The SEVIS number is located on the upper right corner of your I-20 form above the barcode. This is your own number generated in SEVIS to identify you in the system.

Return to top

When should I apply?

If you intend to apply for an F-1 student visa at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate, you should apply well in advance to allow sufficient time for the procedures needed for your entry to the U.S. These procedures include but not limited to submitting your application to AAE, receiving your acceptance packet, arranging your flight plans and housing accommodation, setting up your visa interview and waiting for your visa application response. Generally applying at least 2 months in advance is sufficent.

For transfer students, it is recommended that you apply well before the last day at your current school to allow time for them to transfer/release your SEVIS record to our school. If you are applying after your last day, you should apply as soon as possible to ensure that you meet U.S. Immigration transfer eligibility requirements. Upon receiving your transfer application and the necessary documents, it usually takes 1 day for us to review your application. Upon acceptance, we will notify your current school your intent to transfer.

Return to top

Comments are closed.